Tuesday, May 7, 2013

You get what you pay for...

I have two Mighty Bright magnifying lights that I really like. The problem with them is that I have had them for 5+ years and despite the name they are no longer mighty bright. To give credit to the lamps, I love them, and they have lasted awhile and do a great job. I use them when I am stitching on dark fabric or on counts higher than 28. The reason I have two is that an LNS was going out of business and I bought a greatly discounted lamp. I ended up using both because I have my charts propped up on a table beside me and use one the magnifiers to enhance the chart so I just have to glance up at it.

As I was saying, they are no longer mighty bright. I decided that I needed to replace at least my stitching magnifying lamp. I started looking around and the prices ranged from about $60 to almost $300. Well, I was trying to decide between an $60 Mighty Bright and a $150 Pro Magnifier when I found a magnifying lamp for $25 from Habands. It had an 8 x 10 inch magnifier and 16 LED lights. I was psyched. When I went to purchase it, I lucked into free shipping. Yeah me!!!!

So, the lamp arrived yesterday. I excitedly unpacked and put the lamp together. It went together like a breeze. I turned it on and boy was it bright. I started stitching with it and after an hour finally admitted that it was not going to work. The magnifier is plastic. This means that there is a slight distortion which is very hard on the eyes when stitching. I sadly put the lamp away. I am now trying to decide if I am going to return it. It will cost $9 to return, which means that I will only get $15 back. But really, what am I going to do with this lamp that I can't use. I noticed when I went to the company site, that this lamp is now listing for $50. I promise you all that it will not work for stitchers. I tried to see if it would work for my mother, but she sits too low on the couch and I couldn't get the gooseneck to bend enough for it to work for her.

I am now back to my original predicament of whether to purchase the Mighty Bright or go with the Pro Magnifier. The reason that I am considering the double in cost Pro Magnifier is because it has 30" view area, 3-diopter glass lens, and 60 LED lights. It looks like a very, very nice magnifier. I'm just not certain that I want to spend $150 on a light that I know I will only stay bright for about 5 years.

I have been stitching away and finished one of my HoHoS. I am now working on a Halloween piece that I changed from silk to overdyed cotton. I have also completed Mom's key fob and am steadily working on her  Mother's Day card. I did have to buy more thread for the Monkey Wrench. I ran out of Teal Frost. The new  thread seems a little darker to me. What I have decided to do is blend one strand of the old thread with one strand of the new. I don't have enough to complete the last Teal Frost element, but I think I will have enough to at least stitch the stitches closest to the edges where the other Teal Frost elements are. From the naked eye you can't really see a huge difference, but I still would rather have the areas where the two colors meet as close to identical as possible.

What else have I been doing? I'm so glad you asked. I have been going ebay crazy. I really need to stop. Theresa from Shakespeare's Peddler is my enabler. I have decided after this latest round of bids has ended, that I will not bid for a bit. It's almost like a gambling addiction.

This weekend I had my grandchildren with me. My youngest grandson is a year old and in love with my one year old English Mastiff puppy. She adores him and he adores her. When we are outside, he likes to "walk Bella".


No comments:

Post a Comment