Friday, May 31, 2013

Happy Friday and Serial Killers

Happy, Happy Friday Everyone!

Well I still feel fairly cruddy. I am trying to convince myself that this cough is getting better but it still seems determined to linger on. I didn't get a lot of stitching done last night. I just felt yucky and only managed a bit, and part of that bit had to be ripped out.

Look at how much I had done. 


Oh wait, that part is wrong, it must be ripped out.

Oh no, Mr. Bill, even more was wrong, all must be ripped out. 

At that point, I decided to just give up stitching and watch Hannibal on NBC. The show is very loosely based on Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham characters. In fact, both Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter more closely resemble their book portrayals than they do their movie portrayals, especially as Lecter was portrayed by Anthony Hopkins. Now don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Anthony Hopkins portrayal, but many people often forget that the first Harris book, Red Dragon, was originally adopted in the movie Manhunter. I remember watching that movie in the theater and thinking, wait a minute I think I read this book but it was called something else. My brother was furious because I made him wait until the credits ended, so I could see if I was right about it being a book first. I actually think this original movie version might have done a better job at portraying Will Graham, as the later Red Dragon movie seem to focus more on the other characters, but to be be fair I haven't seen Manhunter in several years and would have to watch them back to back to give a better comparison. Regardless, the TV version Hannibal, is a complete spin off with the only nod to the movies/books being character names and personalities. Will Graham is still able to get into the mind of killers (creepily so) and Lecter is still a man-eating (literally) killer. If you haven't had a chance to see it, I would highly recommend it. But first be prepared to set your preconceived movie/book notions to the side. With that in mind I will leave you with two clips. First the epitome of serial killers, Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter

 
and second, the trailer from Hannibal the TV series. 


Finally, my new favorite TV show quote from Hannibal, in cross stitch, from the wonderful talent of Pixy Stitches where you can get a discount of 22.22% by entering the code TWOEY.



No comments:

Post a Comment